There are tons of energy bars, protein bars, meal-replacement this and that in every heatlh food store. I was in Whole Foods recently and saw that about 1/2 if an aisle is dedicated to such bars! When you look at the ingredients, though, you'll see soy protein, lots of different grain-based proteins, sweeteners galore (often agave nectar), but mostly a looooong list of foods you wouldn't normally find in your kitchen.
So, I decided to make my own. I did not make a full bar because I believe we should eat full meals instead of just having these, but these are great for a morning pick-me up and to keep a few in your bag or at your desk for the day.
These are filled with good fats, superfoods, antioxidants, great texture, amazing flavor and energy that will make you feel clear, but not buzzed or jittery.
- 1 cup organic dried fruit (I mixed medjool dates, apricots and figs)
- 2-3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons maca root powder
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (optional)
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1 cup mixed seeds (sunflower, pumkin, sesame, etc)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I mixed cashews and walnuts)
Feel free to use other berries, nuts, seeds, superfood powders, etc. This recipe is extremely forgiving and I encourage you to make these taste exactly as you like.
- Add 1 cup of dried fruit to food processor or high speed blender. If you need, soak the dried fruit in some hot water for a few minutes to plump up a bit to make easier to process. You will discard the soaking water.
- Add powders, cocont oil and coconut butter (if using). Process until it balls up and is one mass.
- Remove and place in a bowl. Toss in all remaining ingredients (berries, nuts, seeds, etc) and mix with hands until well incorporated.
- Using hands, make small balls (about 1 tablespoon each).
- If you have a dehydrator, place in nonstick dehydrator sheet for 5 hours on 100 degrees. If you do not have a dehydrator (no need for this recipe), lay out on parchment paper and place in fridge until hard.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge.
- Enjoy 1-2 during the earlier part of the day as these can be quite energizing.