These have been a huge winner and I'm excited to finally share this recipe with you!
Note: I make these in the dehydrator and recommend doing so if you have one. They are more gooey inside with a chewy outside in the dehydrator. In the oven (substitution tips below), they come out a bit more dry and browned, which is also delicious.
These macaroons contain healthy coconut oil, great fats, only real ingredients and maple syrup for sweetener. Enjoy!
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 cup almond meal or almond flour (you can make this by putting almonds in food processor)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut manna/coconut butter (this stuff is heavenly!)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- Optional: 1 teaspoon finely ground coffee
- If using an oven, preheat to 300 degrees.
- Melt coconut oil and coconut manna and let cool for about 2 minutes.
- Create almond meal in food processor if you don't already have it.
- Combine ALL ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Create bite size balls and lay out on dehydrator non stick sheet OR on baking sheet.
- Flatten slightly with your hand so they have a flat surface on the bottom.
- Dehydrate for 8-10 hours (or until desired texture) on 115 OR bake for 10 minutes and check to make sure they are not burning ever 3-4 minutes after that (aka, don't leave the kitchen!).
- Store in airtight container on the counter top if you like them more fudgy or in the fridge if you like them a little bit more dry.
- Take out half of the batch mixture after all ingredients are combined and add cocao/cocoa to one half. This way you'll have the original and a chocolate version.
- Kick up the chocolate one with a little coffee! Add your teaspoon of coffee grounds to the chocolate bowl mixture.
Please comment below to let us know how these turned out and if you have any other variations to suggest!