This body butter, unlike most products on the market, is food for your skin. Your skin will slurp up this amazing moisture and it will actually heal your skin rather than sit as a layer on top of your skin.
The concentration of vitamins and natural fatty acids in shea butter reduce inflammation and provide intense moisture to the skin. Coconut oil has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties, so it's a great thing to apply to your skin regularly. It provides moisture as well-- just not as heavily as the shea butter. Jojoba oil provides antioxidants, b vitamins, and vitamin E to the skin in addition to moisturizing. Sweet almond oil is a wonderful massage oil (great for baby massage!), moisturizes, and provides skin-enhancing vitamins and fatty acids to skin as well.
You can easily double this recipe and make a few containers at a time and store them. Make amazing gifts too!!
1/2 c. Shea Butter
1/4 c. Coconut Oil
1/4 c. Jojoba Oil or Sweet Almond Oil
10-15 drops Essential Oil
1. Place shea butter, coconut oil and jojoba oil or sweet almond oil in a glass bowl or measuring cup inside a saucepan (basically a double boiler). Make sure there's enough water in the sauce pan so that it covers the bottom of your measuring cup or bow.
2. Over medium heat, whisk the oils together until they are melted and combined. This will take a few minutes :) Mixture will go from white to translucent.
2. Refrigerate melted oils for 2 hours or until white and solid. You should be able to jiggle the bowl and nothing spills out.
3. With a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the oils until they are fluffy like whipped cream (See pic).
4. Add essential oils and beat to incorporate. This is where you can get really creative!! Lavender is a simple go-to. Gentle Baby blend is like woah!! Lemongrass is lovely. Copaiba with anything will give it some anti-inflammatory effect. Lemon and peppermint is refreshing and uplifting. Roman chamomile, geranium, Ylang Ylang or the Joy blend will all up the moisturizing impact as well. Grapefruit helps with circulation. It's really totally up to you!
5. Fill your desired container with the whipped body butter and refrigerate another hour.
1. This body butter will keep about 6 months at room temperature. It may soften in warm weather because of the coconut oil. If this happens it can be stored in the refrigerator.
2. If you use a raw and unfiltered shea butter, your skin will get greater benefit, but note the raw shea butter has a scent that may overpower your essential oils. That still means your skin is getting the benefit of the oil!! You just may not smell it as well.