What are essential oils?
An essential oil is a liquid that is generally distilled (usually by steam or water) from the leaves, stems, flowers, bark, roots, or other elements of a plant. Even though we use the word "oil," essential oils do not really feel oily on the skin. Most essential oils are clear, while some, have a pigment.
Essential oils contain the true essence of the plant it was derived from. Essential oils are highly concentrated and a little goes a very long way.
Essential oils are not the same as perfume or fragrance oils. Where essential oils are derived from the true plants, perfume oils are artificially created fragrances in a lab or contain artificial substances and do not offer the therapeutic benefits that essential oils offer. They are not used in proper aromatherapy.
The chemical composition and aroma of essential oils can provide valuable psychological and physical therapeutic benefits. These benefits can be achieved through using them aromatically, topically and internally.
Note: I can only stand by Young Living Essential Oils and do not recommend or endorse using an other brands.
Why Young Living?
Essential oils have gotten big over the last several years. You've likely seen them at your natural food store, at a friends house, on your social media feed, even at Target! So how do you know what to buy? What can you do with essential oils? How do you know you're using them safely?
I asked myself these questions and many others about four years ago and because sourcing and being educated with information is how I approach everything related to my health and wellness, I took my time exploring essential oils as well. After a year and a half of trying various oils, understanding where they came from, looking at the oil collections, what was included in each bottle and several other factors, Young Living Essential Oils was the clear winner for me.
Among many reasons, their Seed to Seal guarantee was a big one for me. Unlike most companies, Young Living owns their farms. Just as I prioritize buying directly from the farmer for my produce and animal foods, it was only natural I would prioritize getting as close to the source as possible for something that I was going to use aromatically, topically and internally.
Young Living oversees every step of the process including:
- Seed: Powerful, effective essential oils come from seeds and plants that are verified for their essential oil potential by Young Living experts, partnering with university experts.
- Cultivate: Young Living farms, located around the globe, are dedicated to perfecting the best growing and harvesting methods. YL experts also travel the world visiting co-op farms to verify that their growing and cultivating processes match YL high standards. These operations provide an ongoing source for essential oils that meet Young Living’s demanding quality standards.
- Distill: Combining ancient and modern techniques, Young Living is recognized as an innovator in essential oil distillation. They use a gentle, proprietary technique for steam extracting the most effective essential oils, as well as using cold pressing and resin tapping methods for select oils.
- Test: Young Living never accepts diluted, cut, or adulterated oils. To guarantee consistent quality, our oils are tested in Young Living’s own internal labs, as well as in third-party facilities, to ensure that they meet stringent specifications, exceed international standards, and contain the optimal levels of natural bio-active compounds.
- Seal: Young Living completes the Seed to Seal process in its 107,000-square-foot facility in Spanish Fork, Utah. Using state-of-the-art equipment, each essential oil is carefully bottled into protective amber glass bottles—ready to be shipped to members worldwide.
How to get your Young Living Essential Oils:
You can buy your amazing oils through a Young Living Consultant, like me. This is all about building a long-term relationship. I love this model because rather than going into a store or shopping online, you get the 1:1 coaching and support through me. I use these oils all day every day and can share everything I've learned along the way with you.
If you'd like to get started with a Young Living Premium Starter Kit, which includes all of the oils below plus a great diffuser, sample bottles, a high antioxidant drink and lots of other goodies, get in touch directly at email@example.com and I'll get you set up.