Remember the dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding and his "Windex cures all" approach? That's pretty much how I feel about coconut oil (and bone broth).
7 reasons why coconut oil should be a staple in your home:
- Hair Care: It's one of the best ways to naturally nourish your hair. It helps with growth, shine, reduces dandruff, and dry scalp and can even be used as a cleanser.
- Skin Care: I got rid of my expensive, organic body lotions from the health food store and exclusively use coconut oil. It's an excellent massage oil too and really nourishes your skin. Using it topically and internally will give your skin such a glow both from the outside-in and inside-out. Coconut oil is also known for treating various skin problems like psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema, and skin infections due to its anti-bacterial and anti microbial properties.
- Weight Loss: The fatty acids in coconut oil are primarily medium-chain. Unlike long-chain fatty acids, which we tend to store for energy later on, medium chain fatty acids are burned up right away for energy.
- Immunity: The antimicrobial, antiviral lipids in coconut oil strengthen the immune system. The lauric acid in coconut oil is used by the body to make the same disease-fighting fatty acid derivative monolaurin that babies make from the lauric acid they get from their mothers' milk. It helps the body fight off harmful bacteria like listeria, h.pylori, and others. It is also excellent for fighting off or quickly dealing with the common cold. Coming down with something? Load up on your coconut oil!
- Digestion: Coconut oil is well known for helping to heal the digestive system. I recommend it most for people who suffer from Crohn's, Colitis or other bowel diseases. It's also excellent for IBS and inflammatory bowel problems. Its anti-microbial properties are great for combating bad bacteria, fungi and parasites.
- Healing and Infections: Another place you can use this topically as well as internally for maximum benefit. When applied on infections, it forms a layer that protects the body from external dust, air, fungi and viruses. It's great for bruises as it speeds up the healing process by repairing damaged tissue. Once again, its antiviral, antibacterial and anti fungal properties make it great to fight against infections and has actually been shown to fight off the flu, hepatitis, measles, herpes, throat infections, pneumonia and many others. Use it both topically and internally for fungal infections like athlete's foot and diaper rash.
- Brain Function: There's been a ton of research coming out this year about coconut oil's benefit for brain function and, specifically, to prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's.
We cook with coconut oil every day. It is an excellent fat to cook with because of its stable nature and ability to handle higher heat. Use it to saute your veggies, fry eggs, brown meat, bake, and pretty much anything else. You can also use it raw in smoothies or spread on toast. This NY Times article raves about cooking with coconut oil.
Will it make everything taste like coconut? Nope. It is much more aromatic than it is flavorful, in my opinion. I highly recommend the coconut oil from Wilderness Family Naturals.
Want to read more about coconut oil? The Coconut Oil Miracle is your go-to: